Mentoring programme details 2017
Building up on our fruitful experience, our unique mentoring programme is being continued.
Following the info session on Feb. 3, 2017 at the Royal Observatory of Belgium, we have extended the deadline for applications to Feb. 28, 2017. Early March applicants will be considered... but hurry up:
The mentee-mentor matching will be done on a case-by-case basis in March 2017.
- To women in the beginning of their scientific career who are typically in their third year doctoral studies. It is for women who would like to increase their knowledge of scientific careers, who want to position themselves better in the scientific community and who want to boost their careers thanks to exchanges with a mentor. Men who are experiencing the same difficulties can also apply to the programme but priority will be given to women according to the scope of reducing the gender gap at top positions.
- To scientists, women and men, who have typically at least 10 years of scientific research experience after their doctoral degree and who would like to share their knowledge and extensive professional experience to help young women in the beginning of their career.
Criteria for the mentee
Up to twenty mentee candidates will be selected by BeWiSe according to the following criteria:
- The candidate is either at an advanced stage of her doctoral work or is undertaking post-doctoral research
- The candidate is working as a researcher and wishes to continue her academic path.
- The candidate wishes to reflect further on her position in the academic field through regular exchanges with a mentor.
Note that men complying with the 3 above criteria and looking for career guidance can also apply but that priority will be given to women according to the scope of reducing the gender gap at top positions.
Criteria for the mentors
- Scientists with more than 10 years of experience who wish to participate in the programme as mentor.
How does it work
- The applicants (mentees and mentors) are asked to send their application & registration form to email@example.com
Potential mentees should provide their CV, motivation letter as well as a summary of their thesis and advancement stage
Potential mentors should provide their CV and motivation letter
- The selection committee will select candidates, perform the matching of the pairs and inform the participants of the decision within 1 month
- Each mentee contacts her/his potential mentor to discuss and agree on shared objectives, work styles and minimum frequency of exchanges
- If needed, the selection committee adjusts the pairing
- BeWiSe invites mentors and mentees to focused lunches and other joint activities. Applicants commit to take part in at least 2 such gatherings
- BeWiSe will thereafter support exchanges between the mentee and mentor by covering the travel expenses in Belgium based on the price of a second class train ticket
- At the end of the mentoring (typically 12 months), mentees and mentors will share the key findings of their experience with BeWiSe community.
*Focused lunches and other activities will be held in English, French and Dutch upon request of the participants. Encounters between pairs will be in the language of their choice.
Feel free to contact us for more information at firstname.lastname@example.org